This video is about Solubility & Complex Ion Equilibria and explains in details the study of precipitation in a chemical reaction. In this video also you will learn how to predict whether a precipitate will form or not and how to calculate the concentration of remaining ions in case of a precipitation.
After watching this video you will be able to:
- State the criterion for precipitation.
- Predict if a salt will precipitate from solution based on the concentrations of its ions, i.e. how precipitate formation depends on the relative values of Q and Ksp
- Predict whether precipitation will occur, given solution volumes and concentrations.
- Determine the concentration of each ions remaining in solution after precipitation.
- Explain how fractional precipitation works and when it can be used, e.g. for the separation of ions and qualitative analysis of a mixture.
- Understand that mixtures of metal ions in aqueous solution are often separated by using a reagent whose anion forms a precipitate with only one or a few of the metal ions in the mixture.